I have been the Lab Technician for the Primate Conservation MSc since 2010. I am an active research member of the Nocturnal Primate Research Group and the Oxford Wildlife Trade Research Group, both based here at Oxford Brookes University. My research mainly focuses on the nocturnal primates of Africa and the Neotropics. I am also interested in wildlife trade research, including monitoring the illegal trade in ivory and pangolins but also in primates.
- Primate ecology
- Nocturnal primates
- Wildlife trade
- MSc Primate Conservation, Oxford Brookes University
- BSc Animal Science, Nottingham Trent University
- FdSc Wildlife Conservation, Nottingham Trent University
- Nocturnal Primate Research Group
- Oxford Wildlife Trade Research Group
- Primate Society of Great Britain
- International Primatological Society
- Journal articles
- Svensson MS, Bersacola E, Mills MSL, Munds RA, Nijman V, Perkin A, Masters JC, Couette S, Nekaris KAI & Bearder SK (2017). A giant among dwarfs: a new species of galago (Primates: Galagidae) from Angola. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, Early View.
- Falótico T, Luncz LV, Svensson MS & Haslam M (2016). Cashew Nut Positioning during Stone Tool Use by Wild Bearded Capuchin Monkeys (Sapajus libidinosus). Folia Primatologica, 87(6): 392-397.
- Svensson MS, Shanee S, Shanee N, et al. (2016). Disappearing in the night: an overview on trade and legislation of night monkeys in South and Central America. Folia Primatologica, 87(5): 332-348.
- Svensson MS, Ingram DJ, Nekaris KAI, Nijman V (2016). Trade and ethnozoological use of African lorisiforms in the last 20 years. Hystrix - Italian Journal of Mammology,26(2): 153-161.
- Bersacola E, Svensson MS (2015). Niche partitioning and environmental factors affecting abundance of strepsirrhines in Angola. American Journal of Primatology, 71(11): 1179-1192.
- Arnell AP, Nekaris KAI & Svensson MS (2015). Selecting a conservation surrogate species for small fragmented habitats using ecological niche modelling. Animals, 5(1):27-40.
- Svensson MS & Friant SC (2014). Threats from trading and hunting of pottos and angwantibos in Africa resemble those faced by slow lorises in Asia. Endangered Species Research, 23(2):107-114
- Bersacola E, Svensson MS, Bearder SK, Mills M & Nijman V (2014). Hunted in Angola: surveying the bushmeat trade. SWARA, January - March: 31-36
- Svensson MS, Bersacola E, Bearder SK, Nijman V & Mills M (2014). Open sale of elephant ivory in Luanda, Angola. Oryx, 48(1):13-14
- Svensson MS & Bearder SK (2013). Sightings and habitat use of the Northern lesser galago (Galago senegalensis senegalensis) in Niumi National Park, The Gambia. African Primates, 8: 51-58
- Svensson MS & Bersacola E (2013). Sightings of thick-tailed greater galago Otolemur crassicaudatus monteiri (Bartlett in Gray, 1863) near Lake Mburo National Park, South Uganda. African Primates, 8: 63-66
- Svensson MS, Samudio R, Bearder SK & Nekaris KAI (2010). Density estimates of Panamanian owl monkeys (Aotus zonalis) in three habitat types. American Journal of Primatology, 72: 187- 192
- Svensson MS (2008). A comparative study of play behaviour in wild and captive warthogs. Journal of the Association of British and Irish Wild Animal Keepers, 35 (1): 3-7
- Svensson MS & Bersacola E (2014). Reporting on the Ivory Trade in Angola: Will the Nation's Entry to CITES Make a Difference? National Geographic News Watch- A Voice for Elephants.
- Svensson MS, Bersacola E & Bearder SK (2014). Pangolins in Angolan Bushmeat Markets. IUCN/SSC Pangolin Specialist Group Newsletter.