The members of the Nocturnal Primate Research Group work on all major nocturnal (and cathemeral) primate taxa, including the tarsiers and slow and slender lorises in Asia, lemurs in Madagascar, bushbabies, pottos and angwantibos in Africa, and night monkeys in South America. In addition to studying them in the field, various taxa are studied in captive settings such as zoos and rescue centres.
- Schwitzer, C., Mittermeier, R., Johnson, S., Donati, G., et al. (2014). Averting lemur extinctions amid Madagascar’s political crisis. Science 343(6173): 842–843.
- Nekaris, K.A.I., Pambudi, J.A.A., Susanto, D., Achmad, R.D. & Nijman, V. (2014) Densities, distribution and detectability of a small nocturnal primate (Javan slow loris Nycticebus javanicus) in a montane rainforest. Endangered Species Research 24: 95–103
- Khimji, S.N., Donati, G. (2014). Are rainforest owl monkeys cathemeral? Diurnal activity of black-headed owl monkeys, Aotus nigriceps, at Manu Biosphere Reserve, Peru. Primates 55: 19–24.
- Svensson, M.S., Friant, S.C. (2014). Threats from trading and hunting of pottos and angwantibos in Africa resemble those faced by slow lorises in Asia. Endangered Species Research, 23: 107–114
- Nekaris, K.A.I., Moore, R.S., Rode, E.J. & Fry, B.G. (2013) Mad, bad and dangerous to know: the biochemistry, ecology and evolution of slow loris venom. Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins including Tropical Diseases, 19: 21.
- Rode, E.J., Nekaris, K.A.I., Markolf, M., Schliehe-Diecks, S., Seiler, M., Radespiel, U. & Schwitzer, C. (2013). Social organisation of the northern giant mouse lemur Mirza zaza in Sahamalaza, north western Madagascar, inferred from nest group composition and genetic relatedness. Contributions to Zoology 82:2 71–83.
- Nekaris, K.A.I., Campbell, N., Coggins, T.G., Rode, E.J. & Nijman, V. (2013) Tickled to Death: Analysing public perceptions of ‘cute’ videos of threatened species (slow lorises – Nycticebus spp.) on Web 2.0 Sites. PLoS ONE 8(7): e69215.
- Donati, G., Santini, L., Razafindramanana, J., Boitani, L. & Borgognini Tarli, S. (2013). (Un-)expected nocturnal activity in ‘diurnal’ Lemur catta supports cathemerality as one of the key adaptations of the lemurid radiation. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 150: 99–106.
- Bearder, S.K., Butynski, T.M., Jong & Y.A.D. (2013). Vocal profiles for the galagos: A tool for identification. Primate Conservation 27: 75–75.
- Nijman, V. & Nekaris, K.A.I. (2010) Checkerboard patterns, interspecific competition and extinction: lessons from distribution patterns of tarsiers and slow lorises in insular Southeast Asia. International Journal of Primatology 31: 1147–1160.
- Svensson, M.S., Samudio, R., Bearder, S.K., Nekaris, K.A.I. (2010) Density estimates of Panamanian owl monkeys Aotus zonalis in three habitat types. American Journal of Primatology 72: 187–192.
- Thorn, J.S., Nijman, V., Smith, D. & Nekaris, K.A.I. (2009). Ecological niche modelling as a technique for assessing threats and setting conservation priorities for Asian slow lorises (Primates: Nycticebus). Diversity and Distributions 15: 289–298.
- Maldanado, A., Nijman, V. & Bearder, S.K. (2009) Trade in night monkeys Aotus spp. in the Brazil-Colombia-Peru tri-border area: international wildlife trade regulations are ineffectively enforced. Endangered Species Research 9: 143–149.
- Biebouw, K., Bearder, S.K. & Nekaris, K.A.I. (2009) Tree hole utilisation by the hairy-eared dwarf lemur (Allocebus trichotis) in Analamazaotra Special Reserve. Folia Primatologica 80: 89–103.
- Nekaris, K.A.I. (2005) Foraging behaviour of the slender loris: implications for theories of primate origins. Journal of Human Evolution 49: 289–300.
- Pimley, E.R., Bearder, S.K. & Dixson, A.F. (2005) Home range analysis of Perodicticus potto edwardsi and Sciurocheirus cameronensis. International Journal of Primatology 26: 191–206.
- Fausser, J.L., Prosper, P. & Donati, G., Ramanamanjato JB, Rumpler Y (2002). Phylogenetic relationships between Hapalemur species and subspecies based on mitochondrial DNA sequences. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2(1) 4.
- Donati, G., Lunardini, A., Kappeler, P.M. & Borgognini Tarli, S.M. (2001) Nocturnal activity in the cathemeral red-fronted lemur (Eulemur fulvus rufus), with observations during a lunar eclipse. American Journal of Primatology 53: 69–78.
- Nekaris, K.A.I. (2001) Activity budget and positional behaviour of the Mysore slender loris: implications for slow climbing locomotion. Folia Primatologica. 72: 228–241
- Bearder, S.K. (1999). Physical and social diversity among nocturnal primates: a new view based on long-term research. Primates 40: 267–282.